• Villa Argiro  
    Argiro is a traditional stone house, built in 1905. Rebuilt in 1930 and again when it was bought by the well-known architect Theodosopulos in 1965, who restored it as it is seen today...
     
  •  
    Argiro is a traditional stone house, built in 1905. Rebuilt in 1930 and again when it was bought by the well-known architect Theodosopulos in 1965, who restored it as it is seen today...
     
  •  
    Argiro is a traditional stone house, built in 1905. Rebuilt in 1930 and again when it was bought by the well-known architect Theodosopulos in 1965, who restored it as it is seen today...
     
  •  
    Argiro is a traditional stone house, built in 1905. Rebuilt in 1930 and again when it was bought by the well-known architect Theodosopulos in 1965, who restored it as it is seen today...
     
  •  
    Argiro is a traditional stone house, built in 1905. Rebuilt in 1930 and again when it was bought by the well-known architect Theodosopulos in 1965, who restored it as it is seen today...
     
  •  
    Argiro is a traditional stone house, built in 1905. Rebuilt in 1930 and again when it was bought by the well-known architect Theodosopulos in 1965, who restored it as it is seen today...
     
  •  

Andreadaki 8
Iraklion, Crete, Greece
GR-71202

Tel: +30 2810 226333
+30 28410 41717
Mob: +30 6936513683
Fax: +30 2810 226333
e-mail:

info@traditional-homes.gr

Description of home "Argiro"
 

Argiro is a traditional stone house, built in 1905. Rebuilt in 1930 and again when it was bought by the well-known architect Theodosopulos in 1965, who restored it as it is seen today. Stone steps from the street lead into the small stone courtyard with lots of flowers. On the right is an entrance to the small bathroom. On entering, the House is the small kitchen and the dining area is up a few steps containing a stone fireplace and a loft area over the kitchen with a large bed. The living room has a stone fireplace and sofas that convert into beds. From here the stone staircase leads to the terrace with summer kitchen and the master bedroom with a double bed. Wonderful views of the Gulf of Mirabello and Elounda from the covered terrace.


The House can accommodate 4 adults (couples) and 2 children.

All the furniture are old and handcrafted.

 

Location:

The beach is located 10 minutes walk away and about the same for the village of Elounda, about 1 kilometre.

History of "Argiro"
 

We believe that every house has its own History. The owners of this house have made a thorough study to produce a Historical picture, seeking information from the relatives of the original owners and neighbours who have gladly provided the information contained herein.
The Sfirakis family built the House in 1875; it comprised of a living room, the second section was the bedroom and behind that, were the stables accommodating sheep and goats.


The family was at odds with the Pasha of the region, due to their resistance in paying the heavy taxes levied. In a clash that resulted in the death of the Turkish tax collector at the hands of the eldest son, the family was forced to flee to the mountains to escape repercussions. The Turks demolished the House and the rest of the relatives fled to Agios Nikolaos and Sitia. When the Turks departed, the Sfirakis family returned and rebuilt the House using poor materials, which deteriorated quite quickly. The family were then forced to abandon the house in 1920. It then fell apart. The House was later sold to George Theodosopoulos, a well-known architect.


He was a lover of tradition and heritage, who reconstructed it adding the attic/loft (Master bedroom) and the terrace with outdoor kitchen and barbeque. He also added the kitchen at the entrance of the House, a wooden loft area above the kitchen and the small bathroom. On completion of these works in 1970, he gave the House to a Lady Friend who used it as a summer residence for fifteen years. Shortly after the death of the architect, the House was sold to Mrs Kakaounakis, but she never used it. She bought the property without ever having seen it. In 1994, she sold it to the present owners ANEMOS LTD- The Traditional Homes of Crete. Extensive repairs were undertaken to bring the House to its present condition.